11-year-old burns to death in a shack while parents allegedly drink the night away

Illustration Photo

SHARPEVILLE. – The death of an 11-year-old girl, Matshidiso Maredi  from Sharpeville, who burned to death last night in a shck fire has angered relatives and the community. Maredi was a grade 5 student at  Lehlasedi Primary School.

It is alleged that the girl had been left alone in a shack by her two parents who went out for drinks at the local shebeen. According to neighbours, they heard funny sounds  at night and when they went to inspect, they noticed that two shacks were burning.

“We immediately started to put out the fire using bucket water, we did not know that the girl was also in the shack because we tried looking for her. We are just sad that we could not save her.”

People related to the parents said that the incident would not have happened if the parents acted responsibly. Police were at the scene for further investigations.

 

Latest News

COMMENTS

Carletonville HeraldParys GazettePotchefstroom HeraldVaal Weekblad
Top