SEBOKENG. – The much anticipated Sedibeng regional African National Congress (ANC) march against Eskom was attended by a veritable Who’s Who in politics last Thursday morning.
This was one of the most unexpected yet anticipated marches by the ANC region against Eskom, beside alleged rumours of ANC division within the region. Moshoeshoe Road was decorated by green, yellow, and black colours of the ruling party, who showed their intention as early as 08:00. Sebokeng Post Office started to trip with comrades of the ruling party, heading for Eskom Sebokeng.
Thulani Kunene, regional ANC chairperson, handed the memorandum to Eskom Executive Daniel Kekane. Kunene said, “As the community of Emfuleni led by the ANC, we note the intention of Eskom to disrupt people’s lives by switching off the electricity.”
He further said Emfuleni has an agreement to pay the debt owed to Eskom and also to pay their current accounts:
“It has been said that Emfuleni is paying Eskom on a regular basis without failure.”
Kunene said they believe that such action (switching off) by Eskom is leading to economic sabotage of the region.
Kunene highlighted the seven points to Eskom that they want to emphasise towards Eskom:
– Stop this action of provoking the people of the Vaal
– Stop this threat of switching off electricity
– Stop charging interest on the debts of Emfuleni Local Municipality.
– No penalties must be charged against Emfuleni
– Eskom must improve the capacity of its network in our township
– It must improve the turnaround time; – People should not be without electricity for more than 4 hours.
-Eskom must spend a minimum of 30% on procurement on black people of the Vaal. This was the clear message given to Eskom and received by Kekane.
Meanwhile, Eskom on Friday notified all parties who would be materially and adversely affected by the electricity supply interruptions to Emfuleni Municipality that the interruptions planned for 6 August 2018 had been suspended.
“The suspension of the interruptions follows the pending High Court litigation to be heard on 24 August 2018. Eskom will be guided by the outcome of the High Court whether or not to continue with the disconnection and will issue a public notice.”